Thursday, September 18, 2008
"Because we children of Adam want to become great,
He became small.
Because we will not stoop,
He humbled Himself.
Because we want to rule,
He came to serve."
Whoever wants to become great among you must be your servant, and whoever wants to be first must be slave of all.
Saturday, September 13, 2008
Thursday, September 11, 2008
The Joshua Commitment
Understanding the purpose of the Joshua Wilderness Institute Commitment to be threefold; developing and demonstrating the priority of personal discipline in my life, denying myself access to practices which might prove a distraction from hearing the voice of God clearly, and making a distinct and determined separation from the world and it's influences, I have decided to commit myself to the following, for the complete duration of the nine month course, including all breaks, days off, and holidays:
1. To abstain from any and all movies, including theatrical releases, videos, DVDs or Internet features, with absolutely no exception made for company, content or occasion.
2. To abstain from any and all television programming, whether live or pre-recorded, and with absolutely no exception made for company, content or occasion.
3. To abstain from any and all video games, in any format, or on any platform, with absolutely no exception made for company, content or occasion.
4. To abstain from any and all music, except for live Worship music, whether pre-recorded in any format or live with absolutely no exception made for content, company or occasion.
5. To abstain from any and all dating, defined as "Social engagements with persons of the opposite sex", whether alone or in groups, and including phone, post, or email interactions for the purpose of developing future dating activities, except for those with existing dating relationships as established at the outset of the program, and with absolutely no other exception made for incident, company or occasion.
Having read and acknowledged the above code of conduct, I do hereby commit myself to the guidelines above, and will willingly submit myself to any disciplinary action that may be incurred by their compromise.
Signed Dominique Valenzuela
Lord be my strength!
After a little less then 6.5 hrs my family and i arrived at Hume Lake. We stayed overnight in Grant Grove and the next morning we drove to the Joshua Building to begin moving in :) My mom, sis, and bro Donovan were such a HUGE help to me! After many trips up the stairs and some organizing, my room was complete! Below is a picture of me and my family on my bed and a picture of me and my roommate Stephanie. Above is a picture of Stephanie, Kim and I taking a walk around the lake. It was fun setting the camera timer and running down to be in the picture.